The Church Tie
The church tie doesn't have to be the most formal item in your wardrobe. You have a lot of options as to what you can wear but you have to abide by some rules, so keep reading.
1. Color Coordinate - Wear a neckpiece that matches both your shirt and your suit. This, of course, does not give you the liberty to wear a navy suit with a navy shirt and dark blue tie. Instead, make a conscious decision in choosing a tie color that compliments the rest of your outfit and isn't to visually "loud."
2. Size Appropriately - The tip of the tie should end just where your pants start. If your tie extends beyond your pants, you will automatically exude a disheveled, unkempt look. If your tie is too short, you will look even sillier and you may want to consult a patient friend or your father (again) for some tie tying lessons.
3. Wear a Windsor - These knots aren't always the best for the office environment so wear one now while you can. One generally reserves a Windsor for formal occasions, as it's the largest and boldest of the seven classic tie knots.
We recommend wearing a shirt collar that is considerably cut-away to make room for the huge triangular knot. If you are not sure about how to tie a Windsor, or if you generally need some help learning or remembering how to tie a tie, admitting help is the first step.
Visit my YouTube channel to get a visual demonstration supported with text. They have simple explanations that will teach you the Windsor, Half-Windsor, Small Knot, Four-in-Hand, Bow Tie, and Prince Albert knots in no time at all.
4. Do not wear a church tie with a large picture of Jesus on a cross - Just don't. These are tasteless and many will be offended - the religious and fashion community alike.
5. Stay away from cheap materials. - Just because it's the weekend does not mean you should wear felt around your neck. In fact, this should be your opportunity to demonstrate your polished yet classy fashion outlook to your friends. You can undoubtedly find a worthy tie for $30-60 but don't be surprised if you're searching for quality and you stumble upon a $150 tie.
Move Back to Mens Suits
Move From The Church Tie Back to Mens Church Suits